KnitTech mentioned this episode in her Blog but didn't give details. I am going to give the details at least so that I can vent about it.
Last week I received a check for a portion of my student loans. Now this wasn't an astronomical check but it was fairly big. I signed it and KnitTech was going to deposit it in our normal bank. This is a bank that we've been using for over 15 years (never mind that the still won't give us a debit card. They told her that it could be deposited but the funds would not be accessible for 7 days. Well this was Tuesday and we wanted them earlier. So we went to the bank that the check was written on. Not to give any names but it rhymes with Fells Wargo. I had 2 forms of Id and KnitTech also had 2 forms of ID. We went to the teller and told her we would like to cash the check. She got a "hmmmm" look, then said she would need to talk to her manager. Off she goes. When she comes back she is "Sorry, but we can't cash this check". I was gave her a WTF look and asked why. Well, since we don't have an account with the bank we are "A Security Risk". Also they might not have that much money on hand. Bear in mind this check isn't that big. After much arguing we found out that "If you open an account you can have all but 100 dollars that would have to be kept in the account". Hmm so if I open an account I can get Check - 100 dollars but if I don't you won't cash the check. FINE, how long does the account have to be open? Oh, only till Thursday. We went to another banker and opened the account. Then went back to our original teller and deposited into the account. Took some cash out and went out to dinner. Thursday it was back to the bank and we closed the account and withdrew all our money. The teller looked at the account and said "You only had this for 2 days why are you closing it?". We looked at her and said "We were forced to open it under duress!".
The real kicker was that when we went to our main bank (one that we've been with for about 4 years (and they let us have a debit card), I asked what their policy would have been. I was told that while I couldn't have had the entire balance they would have called and verified funds and let us have access to most of it without waiting 7 days. ARRRRGGGG Moral of the story - I'll stick with my Credit Union and let the big banks [Censored as this is a family blog].
On the school front, the class I'm taking is done for 2 weeks. I think I pulled an A in it.
On the teaching front, 2 more weeks and this semester is over. Next semester I'm teaching Linux on Tuesday nights.
On the Hops front, 2 of my fellow club members donated some hops so the Tech Hop farm is up and running. BroncoBob even donated one that is actually sprouted about 6 inches. Currently growing Galena, Tettanger, Fuggle, an unknown and I believe the one from Bronco is a cascade.
On the brewing front, Vanilla Mead now has the beans that I need to add. And I've got the ingredients for 2 more brews. Sunday will be Grill and Brew day.
3 comments:
test 1
test 2
So what time is dinner on sunday???? just kidding....
Post a Comment